If you have followed my journey for a while now, you know that I have a goal to run the best 1/2 marathon or marathon (with the best bling) in every state. As much as I want to “check the box” and finish each one, it’s all about the journey and the trips I get to take. There are a few that I will fly in and out for, but for the most part, I like to spend some quality time in the place of the race (Dr.Suess has nothing on my rhyme).
I was sooo excited to see the list from the dailyburn last week with the 50 Best 1/2 Marathons in the United States. In all reality, I much prefer a weekend trip with a half marathon. It’s a LOT easier than planning an out of town trip for a marathon.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that I have completed or have already planned to complete the ones listed for some of the states.
1. Alabama- Mercede’s 1/2 Marathon. Agree- but I like my hometown First Light 1/2 Marathon as well.
2. Alaska- Mayor’s 1/2 Marathon (with Abby in JUNE)
3. Delaware- Rehoboth Beach 1/2 Marathon. Don’t know what to compare it to, but LOVED this race.
4. Georgia- Atlanta 1/2 Marathon. Disagree. I think the Publix 1/2 is better if you are looking for an Atlanta half.
5. Kansas- Garmin 1/2 Marathon (with Kim in APRIL)
6. Kentucky- Run the Bluegrass 1/2 Marathon (with Molly and hopefully Corey in MARCH)
7. Louisiana- RNR NOLA 1/2. This weekend will be my 4TH time running it. Was there last year, but hip kept me out. LOVE this race (well, New Orleans is just hard to beat).
8. South Carolina- Kiawah 1/2 Marathon. My PR race. Great place for a weekend getaway.
I still have another 3o states to go (some included above that I will run in the next few months) but already had my eye on the several of the ones listed for my incomplete states. Jackson Hole, Route 66, Go St.Louis, Indy Mini, Little Rock, Missoula, Fargo, Eugene, Covered Bridges and Hatfield and McCoys to name a few.
Take a peek at the list and tell me….
Have you done any of these races? Do you agree or disagree if it’s a state you know well? Any other recommendations? What’s the BEST 1/2 you’ve done (or top 3 if it’s too hard to choose)?