We had a great weekend in NOLA (post coming soon)…but before that trip happened, I had my follow up appointment for my hip. I had truly hoped it would’ve been a glute issue. After speaking with my PT, she had told me that the shot should’ve lasted longer than 24-48 hours, so I had hoped that meant it was a glute issue.
So here’s where I am, what the doc said, and where I’m headed…
I’m not pain free. It hurts to sit indian-style, it hurts to roll over in certain positions (when trying to go to sleep) and it sometimes hurts to walk. On a scale of 1-10, it varies from a 2-5. I always think scales like that are hard to really describe, because each persons pain tolerance is different. I think mine is pretty high. Some days I have no pain at all.
After a brief convo with the doc, “No running, some pain, supposed to run a race this weekend, that shot didn’t really work…” I quickly got a response. “But the shot did. You were pain free for time, and we do hope that the shot lasts for a while, but it doesn’t always work that way. It’s time to look at surgery. You aren’t getting better.” Bring on the water works. I knew it was coming. I knew I wasn’t 100% and that PT wasn’t making a difference on my hip (my glutes are another story). I know that if I want to run, I need to explore my options. And I want to run. I NEED to run.
The doctor informed me that I needed to have a hip arthogram. Which basically involves getting dye injected into my hip joint, waiting for an hour or so, and having another MRI. I don’t understand why I had an MRI without the dye the first time. It actually pisses me off. I received the bill for the first one and it cost my insurance company almost $4,000. The beauty of our healthcare system I suppose. Who knows what this will cost now. I also think I could’ve had more answers 6 weeks ago when this all started. Sorry for that rant…
The doc also told me that I needed to find a surgeon because no one at Emory does this surgery (thank goodness, haven’t had a great experience with Emory anyway). He originally said I needed to go to Nashville or Philly because he didn’t know of anyone in Atlanta. WTF. Apparently my doc isn’t so bright because even I knew from my own research (and chiro and PT) that there is an awesome surgeon here.
To my relief, his website has a section all about second opinions. I am NOT jumping into a surgery and trust this surgeon to actually give me a second opinion, not just be ready to operate. Originally the office couldn’t get me in until April. After some friendly conversation with the appointment lady, they found a spot for me on March 7th.
So that’s where I stand. I did run/jog almost 2 miles to my race cheering spot this past weekend and it didn’t hurt to run. I know that doesn’t mean much, but, whatevs. Dye injected tomorrow, appointment next week and hopefully some answers then.
I do know that if I have to have surgery, recovery isn’t actually that bad. Could be 4-6 weeks. I’ve already done that, so what’s another 4-6. Right?
I do know I won’t be running the Publix 1/2 in two weeks.
I’m pretty sure even the Eugene 1/2 is out of the question now too, but will wait and see what the doc says on March 7th.
I have to remind myself that everything happens for a reason. Maybe this injury needed to happen so I could focus on other things in my life (i.e. new job) and not be so stressed about managing a training plan too. I have cried about this more than I would like to admit, but I’m back to suck it up buttercup. Focus on work, enjoy flywheel and pilates, spend time with my niece and loved ones. Maybe even take a non-running vacation (gasp!).
At least there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. I will be running. I will BQ. Sometime.
Super long shot, but do you know anyone that’s had hip arthroscopy??