Where did 2012 go?? I can’t believe the year is over. I set some goals back at the beginning of 2012. Time to check in and think back a bit.
1. To enjoy it. I actually hit this goal to perfection. I said no real PR goals until after May, running for fun, and taking a TNT break. I did all of this. I started focusing on time this Fall and really just went out an ran in the beginning of the year. No real time goals-I knew it would be necessary with my schedule.
2. Race a few more states. I originally said 3. I was lucky enough to check off Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina (All recaps are linked above under my race tab).
3. Beat last years running miles (run 1160 miles). Well, that dreaded ankle issue left me with a very low September mileage. I will miss my goal by what would have easily been achieved. BUT, I know I would’ve hit it had I been healthy-and that’s a good feeling. I came in at 1104 (today’s miles not included below).
4. Get back to yoga. I did just that. And then some-I found a huge new love in Pilates and several other cross training options with Kim’s New To Me Cross Training monthly challenge. I tried something new every month (if I missed a month, I doubled up) and did 12 new things. Really happy with this!
5. Run 12 1/2 marathons. I did it. Even WITH the ankle sprain. Thank you so much Jill for organizing such a fun challenge. I won’t link up all of the races here, but check out my race schedule above to see the races and results.
Personal goals included getting out of debt, stop shopping, and plan a budget. Let’s just say none of these worked out well. Can you change a non financial planner type?? I’m being serious. I don’t like budgets. I don’t like not being able to do what I want to do (hence the debt). I can GUARANTEE it will be gone by April 1 of 2013. I must say, I’m a bit disappointed in this, but it’s too late now. Obviously something i need to work on. In the mean time, who wants to volunteer to set a budget for me? I promise I’m good at following a plan-I just don’t know how to set it up (don’t tell me mint.com or something like that-tried it).
I’m really happy with the running goals. There were plenty of highs and lows that weren’t in the plan:
NUUN and Hood to Coast. One of the coolest trips and experiences of my life. I can’t ever say enough about the brand, the people behind the brand, and the other bloggers I met.
Runners World 1/2 Marathon with Fitfluential. Again. A very unexpected, amazing weekend. Never would’ve imagined getting to go to this race or meeting the people that I met. From Shalane to fellow bloggers, the whole weekend was awesome.
Meeting new bloggers. Goodness. There were SO many this year. I’m not even sure I could name them all. If we met, just know that you have impacted my life in some way or fashion this year. Thank you. This blog has lead me to some super cool peeps.
Hiring Jess as a running coach. I’m learning to believe in myself!
Completing the New to Me Cross Training Challenge meant trying things I would never have tried. A few examples here: Crossfit, Feel the Burn, Bootcamp, and TRX. Kim linked up everyone who participated recaps here.
The ankle sprain. I truly thought felt like my world came crashing down after such a high of a weekend. Funny, several people told me I would come back stronger and faster-and they’ve all been right. Nothing like a little forced down time to make you really appreciate what you love.
The assault. Never, ever, in a million years did I think I would be assaulted on a run. It’s still surreal. It still haunts me daily. I have to trust the old saying that everything happens for a reason. It happened to make me stronger, to put him behind bars (because I’m strong enough to stand up to him), and to share my story with other runs to help them be aware.
Even with the lows, 2012 goes down as my best year yet. I can’t wait to see what 2013 brings. I’m thinking it will top 2012. (side note-my pictures are uploading incorrectly-think life size-and I’m trying to fix it-but wanted to get the post out.)
How was your 2012? Best year yet? Take it or leave it? Did you hit or miss your goals?