Stretching is the New Cross Training

by Elizabeth on November 30, 2012

With everything going on this week, finding a new to me cross training at the last minute wasn’t high on my list of priorities (yes, I waited until the last minute). BUT, the #elf4health challenge also said to try something new on Wednesday.  I figured I had to come up with something.

Here is my weak attempt at doing so:

A stretch video from Youtube. In all reality, it is what I need at the moment and I ignore it. My runs are getting harder and more focused (tempo run was scheduled for Wednesday), and I need to focus on my body and taking care of it. Sounds lame-o I am sure, but it is true. This actually FORCED me to stretch for 10 minutes. I will openly admit I am terrible about stretching and usually only do so for about 3 minutes total. I’m always “too busy” and rushing to my next activity for the day.

I loved this video. You hold each stretch just long enough and like I said, it forces you to do it! I’m hoping I am diligent enough to do this after each and every run. What’s 10 minutes, right??

Thursdays #elf4health plan was to get up and do 15 minutes of meditation.  I needed more than that. I went to yoga for athletes instead. I LOVE this class. After a good therapy session to work on some visual clues to get the SOB out of my head, a nice mind clearing yoga session hit the spot.

Side note: I did go to a pilates sculpt class two weeks ago that ended up being a pilates tower class. I had never taken a tower class and this might be my new favorite pilates practice. I didn’t, however, intend for the class to be tower and new, so didn’t really think it counted as my new to me for the month. Instead my stretching does…right???

Yoga or Pilates? Or Both? Try anything new in November? Are you diligent about your stretching post-run?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Brandi November 30, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Morning Elizabeth! Definitley yoga for me…:) There is nothing like a good stretch to calm the mind and body. Have a great day!

abbi November 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’m terrible about stretching too and don’t really enjoy either yoga or pilates but also admit I feel better when I do take the time for yoga. I’m just not calm enough or graceful enough for either, haha!

Corey November 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

It sounds like you are doing better!! I think I need to do that video too!

Tasha @ Healthy Diva November 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I used to not stretch either- 5 minutes max. Now I really take the time to stretch before and after any of my workouts. It has helped me in more ways than I can count. My flexibility has gotten so much better and I even feel better for it. My coach keeps telling me that stretching keeps injuries away. I think I will need to trust his opinion on that!

Steph @ Steph Runs On November 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I definitely prefer pilates to yoga, I think I might be in the minority. I’m usually horrible about stretching until I get an injury and then it’s too late, but I do it anyway.

beka @ rebecca roams November 30, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I learned my lesson the hard way! Stretching is sooo important to keep injuries away – before and after and even on rest days! There is always 5-10 minutes when you’re watching tv to get it in. I really like yoga and just took my first pilates class on Wednesday- I’ll be posting about that soon!

misszippy November 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’m gonna take the opposite approach of well, the entire world. I don’t stretch. I quit doing it over a year ago and my body has never been happier. Yoga, gently, yes, but not static stretching post run. Go to http://www.sock-doc.com and read up on what he has to say on it. Hey, if nothing else, it will save you some time, right?

Hope you’re doing better…thinking of you!

Kim @ Just Trying December 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I love You Tube videos. I’m bookmarking and categorizing a bunch so I don’t have an excuse not to work out. Thanks for the link to this one.

Renee December 2, 2012 at 1:36 am

I am going to need to check out that youtube clip! If pressed for time, I will choose a shower over stretching any day! I love yoga class!

Suzanne December 3, 2012 at 12:00 am

Allan and I were just talking about yoga for athletes yesterday. I have a yoga for athletes DVD that we both want to try. We are going to attempt working out together Monday-Friday mornings in the new year so keeping both of us happy with a workout routine is going to be a challenge. I’m hoping this is something we will both enjoy since we like yoga and pilates.