1. The girls on the track wear way too much makeup. I mean, seriously. It looks like they had their makeup done for them and they are headed to the red carpet or prom or something. I get that they are going to be taped/photographed/shown on tv worldwide but wouldn’t a hint of blush and mascara do?
I will admit, when I go to races I tend to wear a little under eye concealer and water proof mascara. If I don’t, I will scare the hell out of someone and look like death. It just makes me feel “awake” even if it may be 3am. When I raced in Alabama back in February, there were girls that were ready for prom. I just don’t get that.
2. Ussain Bolt might be the most arrogant athlete I’ve ever seen. There is not a single ounce of humility in his bones. Yes, he is the fastest man in the world. I know he’s a badass. But, so is Michael Phelps and he sure doesn’t act that way.
3. The friendship that was shown at the end of the women’s marathon on Sunday was awesome. I love Shalane and Kara (yes, we are on a first name basis) and was inspired by the way that Kara helped Shalane at the end. It makes me really appreciate all you lady runner friends out there. We are a lucky, supportive bunch.
4. I am really inspired by Oscar Pestorius. The fact that he made the team as a double amputee is unbelievable (and don’t even get me started about some questioning him and saying he has an advantage with prosthetics). We could all learn a thing or to about overcoming obstacles and never giving up from Pestorius. Seeing Kirani James swap bibs with him was incredibly emotional as well. He has so much respect from others is his event. Wow.
5. I also really love Allyson Felix’s story. There is just something “real” about her. She just seems to be very down to earth. Maybe it’s the no makeup at the track thing? SO pumped for her to finally get her gold. I watched the interview/story about Coach Kersee and how he pushes her and she often doesn’t want to do the workouts and gets annoyed. Human. Just like the rest of us. I’m glad to know that drills aren’t her favorite thing as well.