Resolution Run 10K Race Report

Well. I did it. My very first race in the rain. I might add it wasn’t a little sprinkle, it was a steady rain. I know I have been very lucky so far and haven’t had to run in this mess but I knew I needed to suck it up and get it done–besides, you never know what the weather is going to be like on marathon day.

NYE-pre-pre race 🙂
Chris, Allison, her Chris (bro in law has same name and same type of job as my Chris-funny), and myself went to a low-key NYE party at my friend Katie’s house. We literally stayed until 12:05–Finished the champagne at midnight and came home. I didn’t drink much so I didn’t feel bad this morning.
The race didn’t start until noon which was great! The start was about 35 minutes away in Kennesaw, GA and packet pickup was from 10-11:30. Chris & I left the house around 10:15; it was sprinkling and felt somewhat warm out. I wore pants, zensah compression socks, tank top, arm sleeves and the only somewhat rain jacket that I have from Brooks (note to self-now you can purchase the Sugoi rain jacket you have been eyeing). We picked up our shirts and bibs and headed back to sit in the car for about an hour. The rain went from sprinkling to rain to sprinkling several times. I usually like to do a small warm up run with some stretching but instead just stretched under a covered awning. We literally went to the start about 5 minutes before we were scheduled to run. I was seriously being a baby about the rain.
Race Time
And it turns out, I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the rain actually was! Avoiding puddles gave me something to focus on (but don’t get me wrong-shoes were still soaking wet). The race was small and very well organized. The Atlanta Track Club did a great job. The volunteers were thanking us for running. No seriously. I mean, I kept thanking them for standing in the mess for us-they didn’t have to thank me.
The course was fairly easy-It was the 5K loop twice (there was also a 5K and kid fun run) and had easy rolling hills. They had 2 water stops and plenty of cones that kept the course clearly marked. I ran a pretty steady pace the whole time and didn’t feel like I was pushing too hard. I probably could have pushed a little harder but I have been having some IT band and knee pain this week and needed to take it easy before my 1/2 marathon this upcoming weekend.
By the end of the race I was soaked. And so was Chris. We managed to run together the entire time. We didn’t talk much-just a few “move over, I’m running in a puddle” or “watch the cones.” It was nice to just get in a zone. He had a 6 minute PR with a 52:21 chip time. I didn’t PR but I am still happy with a 52:30 and 5th place in my age group (out of 34).
Garmin Data

Avg Pace
Summary 00:52:31 6.25 08:24
1 00:08:20 1.00 08:20
2 00:08:29 1.00 08:29
3 00:08:41 1.00 08:41
4 00:08:21 1.00 08:21
5 00:08:27 1.00 08:27
6 00:08:18 1.00 08:18
7 00:01:51 0.25 07:27

Post Race
We literally grabbed a drink, snacks and headed to the car. And then sat. For 30 minutes. Literally. Cars were not moving. I’m not sure what was going on but I was cold and ready to shower and eat a real meal. I was able to change into a dry shirt but I still had a soaking wet sports bra, socks and pants. Needless to say after we finally made it home an hour later, we were pretty grumpy. I have since then showered, had a meal, foam rolled, and taken a nap. I am happy to admit I am enjoying football in my pj’s while my collard greens are cooking!
Long Sleeve Race day shirt-not too bad
Post race soaking wet but happy!
And you were going to get a pic of me and Chris at the end but we look awful and I just can’t bring myself to post it. Sorry :):)
Overall I am very glad I did a race on New Years Day. Great way to start the new year. And I would highly recommend this race if you live in Atlanta! I hope everyone else is enjoying the first day of the new year. Did anyone else run a race?

About the author


View all posts


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *